in the community // on Thursday November 12, 2015
“When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.” – Dalai Lama
World Kindness Day is today, Nov. 13 – a day in which paying-it-forward and focusing on the good is celebrated worldwide. Now, you may be thinking, “shouldn’t we focus on the good every day?” And, as much as I agree with that, there are days where we get frustrated and feel down. Thankfully, the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation has a dedicated #WorldKindnessDay to help us refocus and get back on track.
GuideOne shows its kindness several times throughout the year, including quarterly volunteer opportunities, jeans day donations, blood drives and its annual United Way campaign. Tomorrow will be a day to reflect on those experiences and the many people the company has helped in its recent history:
- Since January, GuideOne employees have donated enough blood to save over 440 lives;
- In the last two gardening seasons, employees have graciously given over 2,026 pounds of produce to a local food bank, or enough to feed about 369 people for a day; and
- Over the last 15 years, GuideOne has donated over $2.6 million to its annual Charitable Giving Campaign with the United Way. This year alone, nearly $240,000 was raised in just five days.
Before the year is over, GuideOne will host one final blood drive, raise money for the American Diabetes Association through a jeans day and package food for Meals from the Heartland. These simple, yet effective, activities are reminders that being kind is something we should strive for all year long.
To show your support of #WorldKindnessDay, visit the Random Acts of Kindness website and see how you can get involved. Below are a few ways you can share your kindness with the world:
- Share a kindness quote (and use hashtag #WorldKindnessDay).
- Be kind – read this blog post, and participate in one of the seven kindness activities without leaving your couch.
- Celebrate the day at work by completing one of these fun activities.
- Follow @RAKfoundation on Instagram to get a peek behind-the-scenes, and read inspiring stories, kindness ideas and quotes from the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.
“Kindness is free; let’s pass it on.”